Thursday, May 23, 2013

Book Review: Timeless by Gail Carriger

Another Gail Carriger book? Yes, I love her books! I have written about Souless and Heartless before and now it is time for Timeless. I really want to read Changeless, Blameless but they aren't available on kindle format, yet. I hope they will be one day and hopefully soon!



One funny thing, even when I am in full force with my 25 things before my 25th birthday list I keep on thinking about what will be on my 26 things before my 26th birthday. One of the things is I might only buy kindle book for that year. 

Back to Timeless, this is the last book that has been published in The Parasol Protectorate series. I don't know if there will be more books published in this series or if I should try to read some of her other novels. The book description is quite intriguing, which they usually are for these books.

Alexia Tarabotti, Lady Maccon, has settled into domestic bliss. Of course, being Alexia, such bliss involves integrating werewolves into London High society, living in a vampire's second best closet, and coping with a precocious toddler who is prone to turning supernatural willy-nilly. Even Ivy Tunstell's acting troupe's latest play, disastrous to say the least, cannot put a damper on Alexia's enjoyment of her new London lifestyle. 

Until, that is, she receives a summons from Alexandria that cannot be ignored. With husband, child, and Tunstells in tow, Alexia boards a steamer to cross the Mediterranean. But Egypt may hold more mysteries than even the indomitable Lady Maccon can handle. What does the vampire Queen of the Alexandria Hive really want from her? Why is the God-Breaker Plague suddenly expanding? And how has Ivy Tunstell suddenly become the most popular actress in all the British Empire?

The story is hilarious (as always), and since I read Heartless shortly before I read Timeless the sheer amount of character wasn't as big of a problem as when you just start reading her books. I really liked how Alexia's daughter, Prudence, fitted well into the story and even had her own story line.
"It's bath night. You don't have a choice. Real ladies are clean ladies," explained her mother, rather sensibly, she thought."  Page 7
"If Alexia had not interfered, Lord Akeldama would have remained mortal, and Prudence a fanged toddler, until sunrise." Page 10
"Foo Foo," replied Prudence with equal gravitas. Then, after giving the lady dressed as a gentleman a very assessing look, she added, "Btttpttbtpt."  Page 108 
"There was a wastrel in black Alexia  first thought might be a statesman, until he whipped out a notebook, which made her thing he was that lowest of the low: a travel journalist." Page 130
I would say that Timeless is as good if not even a bit better than Soulless and Heartless, the only thing I find annoying is how expensive the kindle books are for this series.

Bisous

In other book news, I gave up on Timebomb by Gerald Seymour. This is a rare occurrence since I always try to finish every book I start on. Timebomb was just so extremely bad that I just couldn't carry on.

1 comment :

  1. Thanks for your honest reviews. I try to finish books, too, but sometimes, you just can't.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking your time to comment! I try to answer all of the comments but you can as well reach me on twitter @tafraises

Bisous

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...