Saturday, January 22, 2011

Book Review: Black Hills by Nora Roberts

Since I'm on a holiday I started reading more and I love it. I always forget how amazing it is just to chill and read a good book. The book I just finished is called Black Hills by Nora Roberts. Nora Roberts has written more then 209 romantic novels. I always find it very strange when authors have written that amount (and more) of books. Black Hills was a decent book, it started slow and it had not a very well written ending (I'm still searching for the perfect ending!). The middle and right before the ending was good. I find that books never actually that good, for me finding a book that amazes me is almost impossible (that is why I decided to write something about all the books I read this year).

Black Hills is about Lil Change and Cooper Sullivan (horrible names!!) and their journey trough life. It spans quite a lot of years but has long gaps in between them. The years are 1989, 1997 and 2009. Biggest part of the book happens in 2009 when Lil and Cooper are grown ups. The book is in as well 3 parts (has nothing to do with the years so I've no idea why she chose to break it extra down as well in 3 parts). The parts are called Heart, Head and Spirit. I think it would have been cooler if all the parts would have started with H!

My favourite quotes from the book:
Page 49: It was weird, it was strange, it was unexpected. But she had the hots for her best friend.
-Lil's thoughts.
Page 289: She dragged at his thermal, yanking it up and away, impatient now to feel him.
-Lil again, my question, since when was thermal underwear sexy? The last thing I think about when I wear my thermal underwear is someone yanking them up and away.
Page 316: She kept her eyes closed, listened to him go down. Waited until she'd heard the front door open, then shut behind him. And gave into the turmoil he managed to set off inside her. As the rain pounded, she cried herself to sleep.
-I really love this quote, Lil is a very strong character but still manages to have some feelings.
Page 375: "And you like the sex."
"And I like the sex," she said, very coolly.
-Lil and Cooper, this quote just made me laugh a bit when I read it.
Page 383: "No. Or it doesn't matter as much as the fact that I love you. I've waited this long. I can wait until you stop being mad at me."
-Cooper, I find how he (and most of the other male characters) speak/think is quite womanly.
Page 397: "I'm not going dewy-eyed over dream children,Coop."
-I like how direct Lil is here, Nora Roberts really good at writing the girl part in this book the guy parts aren't really special.

All in all the book was fine, I'm not sure if I want to read any other book after Nora Roberts (there are MANY), I somehow am quite sure that they are all very very similar. I'm not saying never!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking your time to comment! I try to answer all of the comments but you can as well reach me on twitter @tafraises

Bisous

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...